Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

What do you like/need in a lecture?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jocelynclaire

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2010-10-05

PostSubject: What do you like/need in a lecture?   Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:52 pm

So in mid November I am going to be doing a guest lecture series for one of the professors that I work for. I have been given this opportunity because she will be away defnding her thesis, and will be lecturing on the material that falls in a certain time period, rather than material that I am drawn to, or excited about (not that this material isn't exciting, it just isn't the same stuff that I would read by myself on a Saturday afternoon. Because of this I am worried that I may have some trouble keeping the lecture engaging, and am just wondering if anyone can give me some feedback about what they enjoy or need in a lecture(?) It has just been too long since I've actually been in a lecture...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://holygpa.blogspot.com/
Paul
Admin

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: What do you like/need in a lecture?   Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:06 am

I can't remember the last time I've been to a lecture either, but if I were part of the audience I would like a speaker who has a firm grasp of the facts of the topic, which it seems you will have. As far as the speaker's interest in the topic goes, you have to at least try for some enthusiasm, because if you are obviously uninterested in what you are lecturing about your audience will be bored as well, even if the topic is something that would usually interest them. Try to find the best aspects of what you are discussing. Maybe a Powerpoint demonstration would help. Keep yourself upbeat and animated. As you project yourself out to the audience you may find the material takes on a quality and life of its own. Be informative, but be succinct. Cover the topic but don't pad the material.

Above all, keep in mind that you can do this. I think you will get the knack of this very quickly. Let us know how it goes!

What do you like/need in a lecture?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1