Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

How did you like "Frankenstein"?
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
40%
 40% [ 2 ]
20%
 20% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

AuthorMessage
Paul
Admin

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Going into this novel the only reference points I had were the old Frankenstein movies starring Boris Karloff and, to a lesser extent, the more recent one starring Robert DeNiro as the monster. None of these versions really resembles the book at all.

For one thing the creature, though physically repulsive as in the movie versions, is in the novel intelligent and articulate. In fact, he's downright eloquent, which I wasn't expecting at all. Nothing like the grunts and moans, or at best the slurred speech, of the movie versions.

Victor Frankenstein, a character I came to dislike almost immediately, creates the monster in a school laboratory and abandons it as soon as he realizes he succeeded in bringing it to life. He spends the rest of the novel feeling sorry for himself and not owning up to what he did as the creature, spurned by its creator and humankind in general, decides to take his revenge on all of Victor's loved ones, making him as destitute as the creature itself.

The story is well-told and kept my interest. I just didn't like the MC, not one bit. I would recommend it.

Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly   Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:22 pm

"Frankenstein" was one of the texts that were assigned for my class about gothic literature. I really tried to get into it, but it was impossibly tedious - I like dark, creepy stories, but monsters? Seriously? On some level, I can believe in ghosts, so works like "The Haunting of Hill House" or "Sleepy Hollow" work for me. But monsters and zombies just don't give me the creeps. I simply cannot believe in them, and therefore find it very hard to be drawn into the storyline.

PostSubject: Re: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly   Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:11 am

Frankenstein, to me, was not at all a gothic horror novel. Far from it. Although it's remembered for being scary, the novel always was, to me at least, a bigger insight into human nature and a brilliantly crafted character study than anything that sent chills up your spine.

Is it just me, or did anyone else sympathize more with the monster than Frankenstein? Such a irresponsible creator, that guy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frankenstein by Mary Shelly   

Back to top Go down

Frankenstein by Mary Shelly
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1