Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Edgar Allan Poe

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Edgar Allan Poe   Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:55 am

Having stumbled across Annabel Lee again recently, I just thought I'd bring Poe up. What's your favorite Poe poem, everyone?

Annabel Lee:
http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/16055

The poem isn't very obscure, but I still love it. The theme of everlasting love and the fantastical setting tug at my heartstrings. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe   Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 am

This poem is beautiful - it reminds me of landscapes and themes prominent in fantasy literature and folklore, almost Tolkien-esque. The recurring chorus is something I remember from medieval poetry, too. But still it doesn't feel as gothic as much of Poe's other poems. I remember The Raven, which we had to read in "Introduction to Literature", and which quite creeped me out. But Annabel Lee seems to be less harsh, less gory, in a way less haunting.

I also remember the sonnet "To Science", which I despised. (I also thought it wasn't a very good idea to present first-semester students with a text in which science is depicted as horrible).

All of these have in common that Poe inevitably ends his poems with a tragic note: Sooner or later, he'll talk about death, in most cases sooner. It makes me think that Poe may have been depressive. Though, when I think about it, he might just as well have flirted with the classic image of the tormented artist... In any case, I'd much prefer fewer references to death.

Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe   Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Grace wrote:

All of these have in common that Poe inevitably ends his poems with a tragic note: Sooner or later, he'll talk about death, in most cases sooner. It makes me think that Poe may have been depressive. Though, when I think about it, he might just as well have flirted with the classic image of the tormented artist... In any case, I'd much prefer fewer references to death.

Poe's wife died of Tuberculosis (I think other women he loved did too, but I'm not sure). He turned to alcohol to deal with the pain.

With background information, the numerous references to death are understandable. Poe didn't lead a happy life, and he likely was tormented.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Edgar Allan Poe   

Back to top Go down

Edgar Allan Poe
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1