Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:05 pm

Here's the thread for our latest buddy read. As Paul said, we will probably do it during the Christmas holidays, since that is when most of us will have time off.

Enjoy! book2

Paul
Admin

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:34 pm

I have my copy. Whenever everyone is ready, let us know. I can start anytime.

Laura
Admin

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I'm still waiting for mine - I hate to have things delivered from overseas in December, it takes ages...

Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:38 pm

My copy has arrived. I've already read three scenes or so - it says on the cover that Blanche was supposed to be a tragic character, but up till now she feels like a stuck-up little nightmare of a sister... I love Stella, though. So much patience with her sister, I am amazed! (And a little jealous.)

Paul
Admin

Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:47 pm

I have started reading this as well, and I agree that Blanche is really a very annoying character. Talk about high maintenance. It also seems to me that Stanley, while a brute, is also a product of his surroundings. He does not see himself as bad or evil. He just is who he is. It seems he has genuine feelings for Stella, though Stella of course should not take his abuse.

Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:26 pm

Paul wrote:
I have started reading this as well, and I agree that Blanche is really a very annoying character. Talk about high maintenance. It also seems to me that Stanley, while a brute, is also a product of his surroundings. He does not see himself as bad or evil. He just is who he is. It seems he has genuine feelings for Stella, though Stella of course should not take his abuse.

I am not sure about Stanley. Actually, I quite like him in a way (maybe because he scares Blanche! Laughing ), but I have no tolerance for men who beat women. By the way, I had to read that scene several times: I could not figure out why exactly Stanley suddenly attacked Stella. Was it just the radio and her being in the way? I don't get it.

Note: I have moved the thread to Plays, since technically it's a play - my fault for creating it in the Novels section Very Happy

Paul
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:25 pm

I think Stanley hit Stella because that is just a natural reaction for him, especially seeing as he was drunk. I think Williams wanted to convey that this was not the first time this happened. And, like all abusers, Stanley professes to feel remorse after the fact. And, like all enablers, Stella keeps forgiving him and taking him back. Of course this was written several decades ago, when domestic violence was pretty much treated as private family business and not as an actual crime.

My interest now is with Mitch. It is obvious he is different from the rest.

Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:46 pm

I finished the play yesterday night. I am still having trouble understanding why Blanche is considered a tragic heroine - usually, a tragic hero knows that his troubles are his own fault (which Blanche does not realize), and to learn from his mistakes - but Blanche simply goes insane. To me, that reeks of running away, not confronting one's problems.

So why is Blanche considered a tragic heroine?!

Paul
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:09 pm

So why is Blanche considered a tragic heroine?!

Good question. She has to be one of the most unappealing characters I have ever read.

Has anyone else had a chance to read this yet?

Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:14 pm

I actually just got around to buying a copy yesterday. I plan on starting soon. I thought I'd have a lot of time around the holidays, but so far I really haven't.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 pm

I finished this one too! I really liked it.
I really want to see this performed, because I think I'd appreciate it more. I think I'll get the old movie soon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:49 pm

Lorena wrote:
I really want to see this performed, because I think I'd appreciate it more. I think I'll get the old movie soon.

I just had that iconic image of Brando in my head whenever I read Stanley's lines. It just goes to show how much of an impact such performances can have.

Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Paul wrote:
Lorena wrote:

I just had that iconic image of Brando in my head whenever I read Stanley's lines. It just goes to show how much of an impact such performances can have.

I know the feeling. I still cannot read my favourite novel, "The Joy Luck Club", without hearing the voice of Gwendolyn Yeo, the woman who read the audiobook Smile

Kelsey
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:34 am

I watched the movie last night, and Stella's final decision in the movie is very different from what we read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire   

Back to top Go down

December Buddy Read: A Streetcar Named Desire
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1