Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Oedipus Rex

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Oedipus Rex   Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:25 pm

I am taking part in a new play to be staged in February: Oedipus Rex. Mainly I sit around and watch the director, because I want to learn something from him (since we do not often have the chance to take seminars about directing, I need to pick up something from him first-hand). He is a nice guy, I guess... though I am not particularly fond of his attitude sometimes. But anyway.

I've read the play in one sitting ten days ago, just to have a general idea what we're up to, and I was wondering. To me, Oedipus seems like a rather aggressive person, both verbally and physically, and also quite cynical. But I've been told that this is only natural, regarding his history. Still, I believe he is aggressive from the very beginning, even before he ever learns about his past from Teiresias. He is impatient towards Creon, rude towards the choir, and I don't want to get started on the way he treats the priest.

What do you think? Do you agree with me, or do you believe that his aggressiveness aggravates in the course of the play?

PostSubject: Re: Oedipus Rex   Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:51 am

Oedipus is a hero rather hard to sympathize. Sure, he got rid of the Sphinx, but he also killed his dad, married his mom, etc etc. His unnecessary aggression, I believe, prompted it.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Oedipus Rex   Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:14 am

Freya wrote:
Oedipus is a hero rather hard to sympathize. Sure, he got rid of the Sphinx, but he also killed his dad, married his mom, etc etc. His unnecessary aggression, I believe, prompted it.

Yes, I can agree to that. In fact, I believe he would not have been made king if he wasn't radiating aggression everywhere he went. Well, sure, sometimes bad problems need radical solutions, but still... I don't like him. Creon may be cunning and sly, I still like him better.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oedipus Rex   

Back to top Go down

Oedipus Rex
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Plays-
Jump to: