Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Aki F. is here!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:41 pm

Well, it's Talkatoast, but that's who I am on Yahooanswers.

Anyways...I'm Amber Forbes, freelance journalist and currently aspiring YA author. If anyone wants to know anything about my now-in-the-proofread-stage novel, just pm me, as I won't reveal anything about it, not even a chapter, because I have a whole host of beta readers already picked out for that.

I'm currently a senior in highschool, editor-in-chief of a lame school newspaper, but I'm doing it because I want the experience of editing since I am going to major in journalism. How am I freelance you might ask? Well, my region's newspaper offers a teen section where board members are chosen, and the selections are tough. I was one of the eighteen chosen, so I shell out about two to three articles per month, depending on my deadlines, assignments, or if I can think of any topics of my own to write about it. I'm excited about this because I'm gathering major first-hand experience in journalism, and it's publishing credentials, so I don't have to write short stories, which I totally hate writing!

I love photography. If you ever visit my blog, those pictures are pictures I have taken and edited. I'm still an amateur, but it's a great hobby for me. You can see a photo I had published in the newspaper--well, it's a given because I wrote that advertisment--on one of the links in my blog. My avatar is a picture of a cat I took, and the only criticism I got for it was that the eyes needed sharpening. I agree, but I don't have photoshop and I have no idea how to adjust my Nikon P80 to capture the glossiness of a cat's eyes.

I love riding horse, although I haven't ridden one in months. I should get back to riding soon though...

I obviously love reading. My favorite novels are the books in the Gemma Doyle trilogy. The best novel I have read THIS YEAR is The Secret Life of Bees. If you haven't read it you definitely should.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Hi Amber, welcome! Nice to have you here! Smile alien
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://literarycabinet.roomforum.com
Cereal P!NK
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:44 pm

Hello!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey, Aki!! Glad you're here! Welcome to the Treehouse. cheers

I love your avatar. He looks really cozy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:54 pm

Welcome Exclamation

sunny nice to have you aboard.

TREEHOUSE RULES!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:58 pm

Goldfish wrote:

It's not even my cat! It's my trainer's cat. I should have done photography for my Senior Project instead of breeding and training sport horses. *sigh...*
Back to top Go down
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
Goldfish wrote:

It's not even my cat! It's my trainer's cat. I should have done photography for my Senior Project instead of breeding and training sport horses. *sigh...*

Well, your trainer has a very cute cat! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Aha! Aki, I read your edit for my writing before this introduction, and I guessed who you were. lol!

Anyways, welcome to the Treehouse! Nice to see you here, and I do appreciate the editing from earlier.

I have read the first two books in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, and plan on starting the third after I finish Frankenstein. Is it just as good as the other two?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:27 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Aha! Aki, I read your edit for my writing before this introduction, and I guessed who you were. lol!

Anyways, welcome to the Treehouse! Nice to see you here, and I do appreciate the editing from earlier.

I have read the first two books in the Gemma Doyle trilogy, and plan on starting the third after I finish Frankenstein. Is it just as good as the other two?

It's marvelous, although there are some parts that seem to drag. Then again, they don't bother me because I love the details of the Victorian era.
Back to top Go down
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:31 pm

Quote :

It's marvelous, although there are some parts that seem to drag. Then again, they don't bother me because I love the details of the Victorian era.

I love the various aspects of the Victorian era as well! They're even better when combined with how wild the girls get, especially when Felicity runs naked through the forest and murders a deer with only a rock.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:34 pm

Tourterelle wrote:
Quote :

I love the various aspects of the Victorian era as well! They're even better when combined with how wild the girls get, especially when Felicity runs naked through the forest and murders a deer with only a rock.

Interrupting your conversation...*enters* That part was interesting, but I got a little sick when she started smashing its head in. pale Really sick.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:40 pm

Quote :
Interrupting your conversation...*enters* That part was interesting, but I got a little sick when she started smashing its head in. pale Really sick.

I got a bit sick as well, but what I meant before was how much I loved the primness of the Victorian era paired with how insane the girls got.

Felicity did seem to go more wild than the others though, didn't she?

On another topic; Simon or Kartik? I adored Simon in the second book, I wont lie. I hope he plays a role in the third book!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Tourterelle wrote:

On another topic; Simon or Kartik? I adored Simon in the second book, I wont lie. I hope he plays a role in the third book!

She did. Sometimes I found her to be annoying really, then in the second book she really grew on me.

Oh. I didn't like Simon. I didn't like Simon at all. I didn't like what he did (or tried to do) with Gemma; he was much more behaved afterwards, but that didn't do much for me.

Kartik any day. I mean, not only did I think he sounded better looking, but I loved his relationship with Gemma. It was all that sexual tension under, just waiting to boil over. I like reading stories like that where the attraction is so obvious to the reader (and the characters), but they don't rush into things so quickly. They pretend to hate each other. It was very interesting, but I didn't read the whole book. The third one. I remember exactly where I stopped and I can't wait to pick up right from there. The second one was my favorite, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:55 am

HEY Aki!!
great to see you. I was going to invite you but looks like someone pre-empted me. Lovely to see you on anyhow!
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:09 am

Hey, Amber.

Lovely to have you on this forum. Welcome to our beloved Treehouse, our haven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:23 am

Goldfish wrote:
Tourterelle wrote:

She did. Sometimes I found her to be annoying really, then in the second book she really grew on me.

Oh. I didn't like Simon. I didn't like Simon at all. I didn't like what he did (or tried to do) with Gemma; he was much more behaved afterwards, but that didn't do much for me.

Kartik any day. I mean, not only did I think he sounded better looking, but I loved his relationship with Gemma. It was all that sexual tension under, just waiting to boil over. I like reading stories like that where the attraction is so obvious to the reader (and the characters), but they don't rush into things so quickly. They pretend to hate each other. It was very interesting, but I didn't read the whole book. The third one. I remember exactly where I stopped and I can't wait to pick up right from there. The second one was my favorite, though.

What's Gemma Doyle about? Maybe I am super dumb, but I haven't read it yet ... some friends said it was really dumb. Is it really about Victorian era?
Back to top Go down
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:28 am

LuthienT wrote:
What's Gemma Doyle about? Maybe I am super dumb, but I haven't read it yet ... some friends said it was really dumb. Is it really about Victorian era?

They said it was dumb? affraid No way! I'm kidding. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, after all.

Anyway, here's the summary from Amazon. I couldn't possibly summarize and do it justice:

A Victorian boarding school story, a Gothic mansion mystery, a gossipy romp about a clique of girlfriends, and a dark other-worldly fantasy--jumble them all together and you have this complicated and unusual first novel.
Gemma, 16, has had an unconventional upbringing in India, until the day she foresees her mother’s death in a black, swirling vision that turns out to be true. Sent back to England, she is enrolled at Spence, a girls’ academy with a mysterious burned-out East Wing. There Gemma is snubbed by powerful Felicity, beautiful Pippa, and even her own dumpy roommate Ann, until she blackmails herself and Ann into the treacherous clique. Gemma is distressed to find that she has been followed from India by Kartik, a beautiful young man who warns her to fight off the visions. Nevertheless, they continue, and one night she is led by a child-spirit to find a diary that reveals the secrets of a mystical Order. The clique soon finds a way to accompany Gemma to the other-world realms of her visions "for a bit of fun" and to taste the power they will never have as Victorian wives, but they discover that the delights of the realms are overwhelmed by a menace they cannot control. Gemma is left wi! th the knowledge that her role as the link between worlds leaves her with a mission to seek out the "others" and rebuild the Order. A Great and Terrible Beauty is an impressive first book in what should prove to be a fascinating trilogy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Luthien

PostSubject: wow   Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:48 am

Oh my. Thanks for that ... *puts on shopping list*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aki F. is here!   

Back to top Go down

Aki F. is here!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1