Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Shakespeare

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Shakespeare   Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:43 pm

Who else finds Shakespeare difficult to comprehend?

I am re reading Macbeth and all I can get out of Shakespeare's language is the general gist of what is being said.

confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:54 pm

I found him very difficult when I first read his plays. It took me several attempts to get through "Hamlet". When I started "Macbeth", though, I was already used to the style and language. Besides, I can't really say I still have trouble understanding Macbeth especially... I worked through it several times, my copy is full of notes, and I have literally analysed every single line.

Suggestion, although a half-hearted one: Get some help, i.e. a really thorough analysis of the play, and work your way through it once. Then, read it a second time, since then you'll probably be able to enjoy it.

Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:46 pm

We all do at first. Anybody who says they got it right away is probably a liar. I personally don't see anything wrong with reading a copy with little notes already in it from the publisher if you're just looking to read the play for your own enjoyment. Sometimes it's even okay for school. (My school-provided textbook copy of Romeo and Juliet had helpful notes in it.)
No Fear Shakespeare is a good free resource if you can bring yourself to use Sparknotes. It's not just for lazy students, and I see no shame in using it. (I plan to for The Taming of the Shrew, and I don't care who knows it. Maybe eventually I won't need the help and I can just go at it like I would any other reading material, but for right now I need help with Shakespearean plays and most things from that era and before.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:37 am

The primary problem with reading Shakespeare is that it is not meant to be read. It was designed to be a play. Many people who have difficulty reading it and understanding have few issues with watching the play being performed and understanding it then.

For you, try reading the play out loud. Or watch a screen adaptation. Perhaps you will comprehend more efficiently then.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Dara wrote:
The primary problem with reading Shakespeare is that it is not meant to be read. It was designed to be a play. Many people who have difficulty reading it and understanding have few issues with watching the play being performed and understanding it then.

For you, try reading the play out loud. Or watch a screen adaptation. Perhaps you will comprehend more efficiently then.

That's a good suggestion. There are few really good movies, though. Kenneth Branagh is always an indicator for quality, as far as that is concerned.

Oh, and the Polanski version of Macbeth is incredible. It gets so close to the essence of the play that I had to turn in off. I was getting sick.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shakespeare   

Back to top Go down

Shakespeare
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1