Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Pride and Prejudice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Pride and Prejudice   Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:39 pm

Okay, I've tried reading this book once before, but couldn't do it. The only reason I'm actually reading it now is because it's for a class assignment. I'm on page 92, and I feel like I'm reading mindless drivel. I somewhat understand what's going on (it rather feels like the storyline is going in circles), but I don't care about the characters at all. And because Ms. Austen is so vague with her settings, I imagine all the characters are floating in Purgatory. She'll start a chapter off with one of the characters talking to another character, and I try to imagine they're at Elizabeth's house or something, but because Ms. Austen doesn't really describe anything, they're all floating in Purgatory in my mind. I also hate that Ms. Austen tells us what the characters are like, then writes redundant dialogue by having characters repeat what has already been said. I feel slighted because she's telling us how these characters are. I would much rather have her show it so I can figure it out myself.

My AP Lit teacher says the book gets better, but at what page?

Help me overcome this Pride-and-Prejudice-is-mindless-drivel syndrome! Discuss the book with me! study
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:53 pm

For me, it got better when I'd finished it. No kidding. I did not enjoy reading Pride and Prejudice while I was reading it, but after I'd finished I found that I really enjoyed the book. It was my first classic. The writing is a bit dry and the story line isn't very fast-paced, but it's really very good when you can stand back and appreciate the whole thing.

About the vagueness: Have you ever watched a movie version of Pride and Prejudice? That would probably help a lot. It helped me, at least. The plot is so slow-moving at points that you stop even trying to pay attention, so you eventually get confused. The movie makes it much clearer and quick-paced, as well as makes the setting very clear. If you haven't tried one or it's been a while, I suggest watching one of the many movies (preferably the 1995 with Colin Firth or the 2005 with Kiera Knightly).

Always nice to see you around!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:59 pm

My AP Lit teacher has said the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is better than the book! What am I saying, she said she likes the movie better! I want to watch that movie, but my Movie Gallery doesn't have it. My boyfriend was going to download it off UTorrent, but dad said no more downloading because we could get caught for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
My AP Lit teacher has said the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice is better than the book! What am I saying, she said she likes the movie better! I want to watch that movie, but my Movie Gallery doesn't have it. My boyfriend was going to download it off UTorrent, but dad said no more downloading because we could get caught for it.

This isn't usually the best option, but YouTube often has all the scenes. If all else fails, you could try that.
There are several sites where you can watch movies for free without downloading anything. An
Answers search reveals that. (There is a link there, but it's not clear in this new layout! There are also links on 1995 and 2005 above.)
Any of the movies would help you, I think. I watched the 2005 version and it helped tremendously, despite being the shortest and least accurate P&P film I've watched.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi there,

Well, I dearly love this novel, but admit that it took me some time to really appreciate it. Watching the movie is one option, and not the worst one. I also recommend an audiobook for your iPod, iTunes has them available. They are fairly good, and really help, because you can do anything you like while listening. I usually listen to them while cleaning or gardening, and to be perfectly honest, the numerous audiobooks I have are part pf the reason why this place gleams Smile

Besides, P&P is only boring the first time around. The second reading is much better because you notice a lot more funny details about the characters. And if you're on page 92, you should be close to Mr Collins' proposal to Lizzie? That scene is hilarious! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:29 pm

Hi,
I know you don't enjoy Pride and Prejudice, but what really did it for me was not the storyline, or the plot, or any scene in particular. What did it for me was the characters. I really related to Lizzy, for some reason.

If you start thinking "this is mindless", maybe you will enjoy it more by popping in and out of the heads of different characters. Even the annoying ones (cough Lydia cough) are so well rounded.

Anyways ... just my opinion!

Good luck, Aki!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pride and Prejudice   

Back to top Go down

Pride and Prejudice
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1