Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:56 pm

I confess. I like chicklit. I know parts of "Bridget Jones" by heart, and I've recently devoured Niamh Greene's "Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife". Sure, it doesn't sound quite as impressive as saying, "Oh, you know, I just read another Shakespeare the other day" - but would you count these novels as guilty pleasures or proper literature?

Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:55 am

It's book candy at this day and age. It's not the best thing for you, but hey, it's tasty. They're pleasure reads.
For all we really know, a lot of classics were considered the equivalent of chick lit in their own time. As time went on, they became more difficult to read due to changes in language and had gotten huge reputations, making them classics. That's just a theory though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:59 am

I will confess. I'm a Gossip Girl addict. It is completely superficial and poorly written, but it's gossip! It's meant to be that way! I'm also a Meg Cabot fan. Anyways, I think that chick lit is definitely okay to read once in a while. But I would not make that my reading base. The classics help keep me entertained AND intelligent.

I guess some chick lit would be considered guilty pleasures. I'm not sure I'd call it *proper literature*, but it is it's own genre.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:43 am

A book's a book. I wouldn't call it proper literature, though.

I'm very much a chick-lit fan! I love Sophie Kinsella, Cecilia Ahern, MaryJanice Davidson, etc. I'm not much of a Meg Cabot fan. My favorites are the Shopaholic series, Rosie Dunne, Undead series, Undomestic Goddess, Remember Me?, P.S. I Love You, Can You Keep A Secret? and so much more!

Zara, I second your Gossip Girl addiction. I sometimes pretend to be GG and make notes to send to my friend about gossip. Super fun!

Basically, chick-lit books are fun, fluffy reads that a lot of people deny that they hate it, but secretly they love it! I never fail to laugh out loud!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:46 pm

I liked chick-lit when all I want to do is sit back, relax, and kill brain cells.

Too much can be wearying. After awhile I want to scream at the characters to get over themselves and behave like halfway decent humans.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 pm

LuthienT wrote:
I liked chick-lit when all I want to do is sit back, relax, and kill brain cells.

Too much can be wearying. After awhile I want to scream at the characters to get over themselves and behave like halfway decent humans.

Very well put. I love Bridget Jones, but to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather read Pride and Prejudice most times. Although I like chicklit for vacations. Not much thinking required, and you can follow the basic plot while dozing off in the sun.

Talking of which, I need to book a flight.

BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 pm

To be honest, I don't read much chick-lit so I can't say if I'd actually enjoy it or not. I think all genre's have their respective place in the world of literature though, and this includes chick-lit.
I do however, immensely enjoy chick flicks. Especially the aforementioned Bridget Jones' Diary. The fight in the second movie was EPIC!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?   

Back to top Go down

Chicklit - Proper Literature, or Guilty Pleasure?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1