Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Should we do it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Grammar Child
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 99
Dictionary Definition : The Fionacus-Grammaticus-Childicus is probably the youngest species known to the LC universe. Although she is one of the more advanced species in her own world (highous schoolicus), she can often be found asking questions about many things in the LC forum. This species of homo sapien is also known to be slightly over-excitable in the chatbox, sometimes to the point of throwing shoes. Much like a young puppy, she can be hyperactive and irritating - and yet, somehow, she can extremely lovable too.
Registration date : 2009-02-17

PostSubject: Should we do it?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:29 pm

My friend and I are both Anti-Twilighters, but we've never read Twilight. My friend saw the movie and thought it was crap.

But, if we're going to insult Twihards, shouldn't we at least have read the...thing?

We were going to get it from the library. I just hope nobody spots us!

Do you think it's okay to bash Twihards without reading Twilight?

Your thoughts, please.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Nope, it's not. I find it very annoying to see people who have no idea about something, and then go ahead and bash it. That would be like saying, "Classics suck. Not that I ever read any", or even "Chinese/Jews/Women/Astronauts are all mad and idiotic. Not that I've ever met any."

So I say, go ahead and read it, so you have valid grounds to bash it.

Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 am

In all honesty, it's ridiculous to bash something you haven't even tried. You have every right to your opinion, but only after you've read the books.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 am

I think you should read it and formulate your own reason as to why you dislike it. Of course, I didn't find much good in it, but for some people the writing style (or lack thereof) bothered them. For me, it was the characters that bothered me the most. It might be something else for you. Who knows?

But either way, I don't think it's fair to bash something without having read/experienced it first. So go for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:46 am

Read it so you can form your own opinion about it. I hate it when people bash something they know nothing of. At least try them, for God's sake. What if someone asks what you hate about it? The only thing you can probably answer is that it's overrated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tezcatlipoca
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Bashing   Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:00 am

I'm very much against all forms of "bashing".

It's much nicer to critique.

It's okay to point out a book's flaws (and can be great fun), but keep things moderate. I really hate rants about how bad a book is. Twilight obviously has some redeeming features, otherwise people wouldn't read it.

Focus on negative aspects is okay, yes, but don't go overboard and try to remember the positive.

And yes, you need to have at least read the thing before you can crit it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ksotikoula

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:41 am

I intent of doing so myself at some time in the future (translated of course). I want to see what all this fuss is about. It can't harm me at any rate.
But what bothers me is that I will have to borrow it from a library (no chance of giving money to buy it) and at my age it will seem weird. The previous time I borrowed "Harry Potter" the librarian was kind of staring disparagingly. I don't have to apologize for what I read to no one, but still it made me angry: that look of "you know there are plenty of worthwhile books to read" as if I didn't know or have not read a great portion of the classics (and with pleasure too).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:17 pm

ksotikoula wrote:
I intent of doing so myself at some time in the future (translated of course). I want to see what all this fuss is about. It can't harm me at any rate.

I fully agree with that. Although I despise the series with a passion, I do encourage other people to read it and formulate and opinion for themselves. I used to push people away from the series, but given how popular the series has become, it's hard to go through an average day without a single Twilight reference. So if for nothing else, read it just to see what is going on. And to formulate an opinion for yourself.

Last edited by Zara Bondira 007 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ksotikoula

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:37 pm

So far I despise the fuss and the fanatical devotion of its admirers. But I don't like being predisposed. I was prejudiced against my favorite book (Jane Eyre) before reading it due to a plot summary, but then I loved it.
I don't expect that to happen with Twilight which everybody (even some fans) recognize as badly writen, but one has to study what is the cause of its success. There must be something good in it, even if it is the classic moto "sex and violence sell".
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:59 am

Even though I cannot call myself a Twilight fan, I think you should read the series just to be able to form an opinion. It is not fair, in my opinion, to bash a book without having read it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should we do it?   

Back to top Go down

Should we do it?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Literary Cabinet :: Reading :: Novels-
Jump to: