Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Bronte Sisters

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jane
Master
Master

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: The Bronte Sisters   Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:40 pm

They are some of the greatest English authors, and I have enjoyed each book of their's that I have read. I was just wondering how many Bronte fans there are out there, what books you've read, and who you enjoyed the most. Which author's characters do you think were the best? Whose writing sounded the best? I've always thought of Charlotte as the best, but I know some of you have other opinions.

Also, has anyone else read Anne Bronte? No one I've asked before has read anthing by her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:43 pm

I like the Bronte sisters as well. I've read Charlotte's Jane Eyre, and Emily's Wuthering Heights. Like many other people, I haven't read anything by Anne, by I really should eventually.

I prefer Charlotte Bronte over Emily Bronte and I love Jane and Edward. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:55 pm

I love the Bronte sisters! But truthfully, I haven't read anything by Anne Bronte yet, but I really should some time. I read Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Emily's Wuthering Heights. If Emily hadn't died a year after its publication, she could have written more wonderful books.

I prefer Jane Eyre to Wuthering Heights. Too much vengeance and hate in WH. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Louisa Lynn wrote:
I love the Bronte sisters! But truthfully, I haven't read anything by Anne Bronte yet, but I really should some time. I read Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Emily's Wuthering Heights. If Emily hadn't died a year after its publication, she could have written more wonderful books.

I prefer Jane Eyre to Wuthering Heights. Too much vengeance and hate in WH. Laughing

Oh, I know! Jane Eyre is just more my style. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jane
Master
Master

Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:18 am

Louisa Lynn wrote:

It's hard to find Anne's books. She's just not as famous. And to be honest, there's a reason for it. I love The Tenant of Wildfell Hall so far, but Anne's writing doesn't flow as well as her sisters'. She uses enough commas to make my head spin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:00 am

Tourterelle wrote:
Louisa Lynn wrote:

Oh, I know! Jane Eyre is just more my style. Laughing

I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights is on my "You better finish it soon, Zara" list. So far, I prefer Jane Eyre. It would be interesting to find something by Anne Bronte...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 am

Like most of you, I've read Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights. I prefer Jane Eyre, though -- there's more character depth, or at least that's what I felt.

Sadly, I haven't read anything by Anne!
Back to top Go down
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:20 am

The only thing I've read by Anne Bronte is a quote

~But he who dares not grasp the thorn should never crave the rose.~
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:32 am

Jane wrote:
They are some of the greatest English authors, and I have enjoyed each book of their's that I have read. I was just wondering how many Bronte fans there are out there, what books you've read, and who you enjoyed the most. Which author's characters do you think were the best? Whose writing sounded the best? I've always thought of Charlotte as the best, but I know some of you have other opinions.

Also, has anyone else read Anne Bronte? No one I've asked before has read anthing by her.

I adore the Bronte sisters. I've read Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, but nothing else.
I think Charlotte is the most prolific sister, but I've always been drawn to Emily's tense poetry, which was absolutely enchanting. And I've always like Wuthering Heights, in my opinion, a very graphic novel expounding on the consequences of pride and obsessive, violent love. (which wasn't hardly love, but more obsessive occupation)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:34 am

It was sad that Emily died so quick. She had a lot of genius. I know WT is super violent and hateful, but I think that makes me appreciate the gentle, pure love of the younger Cathy. Plus, instead of promoting obsessions, like Twilight does, it shows the hateful and horrible consequences of it. elephant
Back to top Go down
Jane
Master
Master

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:06 pm

I finished Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall today. I suggest it to everyone here, especially if you liked Jane Eyre. The story kept me turning pages like crazy, and the writing was better than I had hoped for. Really great book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 45

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:32 pm

I haved loved Jane Eyre since I first read it at 9 and have jsut recently read The Professor and that was brilliant!

I have a Sony Reader and a DS Lite and have the classics for both so will read Shirley, Villette and Wildfell Hall which are on them and I have Agnes Grey too.

I wasn't so keen on Wuthering Heights as much and would never read it again!

Lynne
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:18 pm

caring carer wrote:
I haved loved Jane Eyre since I first read it at 9 and have jsut recently read The Professor and that was brilliant!

I have a Sony Reader and a DS Lite and have the classics for both so will read Shirley, Villette and Wildfell Hall which are on them and I have Agnes Grey too.

Lynne

Somebody sent me a link to this great offer on Amazon, about 100 classics for the DS - http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Classic-Book-Collection-Nintendo/dp/B001LK6XKE

I thought I might get it, what do you say?

Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:34 pm

Solveig wrote:
caring carer wrote:

Lynne

Somebody sent me a link to this great offer on Amazon, about 100 classics for the DS - http://www.amazon.co.uk/100-Classic-Book-Collection-Nintendo/dp/B001LK6XKE

I thought I might get it, what do you say?

Go for it! clapping
Back to top Go down
View user profile
HayleeM
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I am currently reading Jane Eyre and really love it. As embarassed as I am about this, I have not read Wuthering Heights! I just recently decided to start reading the classic love stories, like Austen's novels and the Bronte sister's. Oh, the shame! Embarassed haha But as I get farther along in Jane Eyre, I will be able to give a more thorough opinion. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Bronte Sisters   

Back to top Go down

The Bronte Sisters
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1