Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:12 am

And what classic books do we have now do you think will be forgotten?

I think Harry Potter will be remembered and maybe Twilight because of the fans who'll pass it down to their children.

A classic that might be forgotten, in my opinion is Little Women. Is that taught in schools anymore? I couldn't get past the first few pages.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:27 am

I agree with Little Women. I decided to read it but couldn't get past it because I kept falling asleep.

God forbid Twilight. *praypraypraypray*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:39 am

I loved Little Women when I read it. But I read it when I was ten, so I don't remember it very well. I really need to reread it.

Harry Potter has a good chance at becoming a classic. So do Anne Rice's books, as well as Atonement. Maybe The Book Thief?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denizenofevil

Number of posts : 426

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:44 am

Magda wrote:
I loved Little Women when I read it. But I read it when I was ten, so I don't remember it very well. I really need to reread it.

Harry Potter has a good chance at becoming a classic. So do Anne Rice's books, as well as Atonement. Maybe The Book Thief?

I agree on the Book Thief. How about Amy Tan's books like the Kitchen God's Wife or the Joy Luck Club. Those were pretty good. I don't really know who Anne Rice is. I haven't read Atonement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jane
Master
Master

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:24 am

I agree with Harry Potter. I also think a couple of Stephen King's books (The Green Mile, Misery) might have a chance at making it. And Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:10 am

I think Harry Potter will definately become a classic. I'd love to see some Koontz novels make the list but as Stephen King seems to be the more popular author I don't see that happening. Maybe Watchers stands a chance as basically everyone that has read Koontz has read it. Kite Runner also popped into my head.

I have not read it yet but I hear people raving about Life of Pi...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am

Harry Potter will definitely be considered a classic. In fact, I already do consider it a classic in some sense of the word.

I have the nagging feeling that Jules Verne's novels are about to be forgotten... I know "Eighty Days around the World" by heart, but hardly anyone I know has ever read it, not even the Science Fiction / Adventure fans.

BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:14 am

I am hoping that Catcher in the Rye will be forgotten. People are realizing just how bad that book really is and that it has got more credit then it deserved. Sleep

Little Women will fade away Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kelsey
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 2780
Dictionary Definition : Kelsey-- Frequently called "Kels," this female specimen of Homo Sapiens belongs to the Literary Cabinet universe. Although she is a young member, she has shown her maturity to be above other species, sometimes. "Kelsey" can behave quite crazy in her own right. One of her most noticeable traits is paranoia and knowledge of trolls.

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:00 pm

I loved Little Women! I don't see why everyone hates it. I read it in a time where I was still under the impression that you had to like every book you read, though; I have a feeling I would still like it now, however.
I think that Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia will be classics.
Adam Bede should and will be forgotten.
That's all I can think of right now....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:16 pm

Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia will be future classics, if they aren't classics already.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 am

Louisa Lynn wrote:
I agree with Little Women. I decided to read it but couldn't get past it because I kept falling asleep.

God forbid Twilight. *praypraypraypray*

I would like to remind you that Little Women has been around for the past 150 years, so I believe the chances of it dying out in the next 50 are not very likely. I'm not a fan of the novels at all, but I'm just stating my opinion. I would agree that Harry Potter stands a chance at being remembered 50 years from now, but I disagree with the sense that it has what is needed for a classic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm

I feel Harry Potter will definitely be a classic. As for Twilight, I almost doubt it because when I think of Classic, I think of classics as appealing EQUALLY to everyone. Twilight appeals to MOSTLY pre-teen girls.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Paul
Admin

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:00 pm

As far as Harry Potter goes, I have no personal judgment as I have never read the series (much to my ten-year-old's dismay). There is no denying it is currently making a huge cultural impact, but whether or not this will translate into literary longevity remains to be seen.

For me, it seems the one contemporary writer who has the best chance of having his work considered "classic" years from now is Cormac McCarthy. "No Country For Old Men" was excellent, and "The Road" just plowed me under. I haven't read any of his earlier works yet, but I am willing to bet they are right up there in quality.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
March Hare

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:52 am

I've never read those, but I have a feeling Stephen King stands a very good chance at being remembered. Some of his books have most, if not all the qualities for future classics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Taking it from the English-speaking world... Any non-English books that you think can make it? I think that maybe G√ľnter Grass stands a chance, but I have no idea, really.

BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

I don't think it will be considered a classic, as it is not of the quality of actual classics but I do think that Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle will be remembered by many people. Not necessarily for the reasons he'd want though. Many people will remember Eragon because it hit the New York Times best seller list when CP was still a teenager. I don't think though, it will be remembered for being brilliant. It was enjoyable, but not brilliant.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?   

Back to top Go down

Seeing as the actual reading section of the forum is actually quiet, what books popular now do you think will be remembered in 50 years or will be considered classics?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1