Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Novel set in Asia?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Novel set in Asia?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:34 pm

I am a huge fan of most things Chinese or Japanese. My room looks like a Chinese gift shop, to be precise, complete with a large silk lantern overhead. Accordingly, I love novels about Asian life and events, such as the novels by Pearl S. Buck and Amy Tan.

Does anyone have any recommendations of books I might like? I have to reread the ones I already know simply because I can't find new ones ^^

Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:39 pm

Chinese Cinderella by Adeline Yen Mah. My sister read it years ago and she told me to read it, too. I could never get round to reading it, though. She told me it's very good.

The author describes her experiences in China during World War II.

Woohoo, go us Chinese people! bouncy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:49 pm

Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord. I read it last year and loved it. It descibes the changes in china throughout the late 1800s to 1900s through the points of view of two different characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Paul
Admin

Number of posts : 3518
Dictionary Definition : Dictionary Definition: Paul-One of the few male LC creatures known to exist, this specimen is one of the eldest in the LC universe. This specimen is known to work long hours but still makes time to commingle with fellow LC denizens. This being has a peculiar sense of humor and has been observed to shun smilies, although this aversion has been lessening as of late.
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:11 pm

If you don't mind going back a few years, I very much recommend James Clavell. If you haven't read them already, check out "Shogun" and "Tai Pan". The novels are nice and thick and very enjoyable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:29 pm

I googled "novels set in Asia" and here is a list of books available at amazon.com

Better yet, here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Recent-Novels-Set-Asia/lm/308ZEY98PDJCH
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:06 am

Rodent wrote:
I googled "novels set in Asia" and here is a list of books available at amazon.com

Better yet, here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Recent-Novels-Set-Asia/lm/308ZEY98PDJCH

Wow, thank you! I'll definitely check some of them out!

Morgaine

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-04-24

PostSubject: Hi   Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm

I just stumbled across this thread. I love China and Japan as well. Amy Tan is one of my favorites. I greatly enjoyed Anchee Min's Becoming Madame Mao

I plan to read her memoir soon Red Azalea
She knew Madame Mao personally.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:32 am

If you are looking for some cool non-fiction, I'd recommend Wild Swans. It's an autobiography about three generations of women. Grandmother in warlord era, mother in communism, daughter (author) in Mao's Red Guard.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Red Azalea sounds good, thanks for the tip. I've already read Wild Swans, and did not really love it, though it wasn't too bad. I've also bought "The Last Concubine" recently, and plan on reading it... before Christmas, I guess. Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Novel set in Asia?   

Back to top Go down

Novel set in Asia?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1