Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Some books are popular just because of a good story line or an interesting character, but what are some bestsellers that live up to their status all around? That they're really so excellent, they deserve to be at the top?

On a side topic: I just finished The Secret Life of Bees. What did you think of it? noidea
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caring carer
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:31 pm

I really enjoyed Secret life of Bees, another book very similar to that is Whistling for Elephants by Sandi Toksvig which i thought equally good and since found a couple more of her books.

I have just read Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen which I kept seeing recommended so I found a copy and boy it was good. I could not put it down and read it all in one sitting 12 hours! Thank goodness for night shifts and sleeping patients! So this would have to be on my list of great books to read.

Looks like I am into elephants reading this back!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

I enjoyed the Secret Life of Bees, too. Zach and Lily: how much fun was it reading about that pair?

love
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm

With the exception of some of Dean Koontz most recent work (which is in my opinion fluff) any book by him that is a bestseller is so for good reason. His novels are captivating with fast paced gripping stories and wonderfully crafted characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:27 pm

I can't say I've ever read any of Koontz's books. What's your favorite?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:29 pm

It is impossible for me to name a single favourite Koontz novel so I will give you my list, in no particular order of course.

Strangers
False Memory
Dark Rivers of the Heart
Lightning
One Door Away From Heaven
By the Light of the Moon
From the Corner of His Eye

Since you are only 15 I will forgive you for not having read any of his novels. If you do choose one to read, choose an older title, the new one's, while still good, are not up to par with his older work.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:30 pm

I'll try to read one soon! Very Happy

False Memory sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:31 pm

False Memory is FANTASTIC. It's about a woman with autophobia-the fear of oneself-that is ALL I will tell you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:32 pm

That's all? tongue

Is it written from her point of view?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Awards :

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:34 pm

It is. I can't remember but I think it is all written in third person though. Don't quote me on that, it has been too long since I have read it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:35 pm

BeautyBlitz wrote:
It is. I can't remember but I think it is all written in third person though. Don't quote me on that, it has been too long since I have read it.

jocolor Okay, sounds good. I've got another book added to my reading list, then!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm

Hmm. I don't know about bestsellers, but do Pulitzer and Nobel Prizes count? I am a huge fan of Pearl S. Buck, and unlike many other texts that have won these prizes, her novels actually deserve the recognition... Has anyone here read "Pavilion of Women"? It's one of my favourite novels.

Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:06 pm

No, but I've heard of it before.

Very good, you say?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Brilliant! It's a masterpiece, it really is. It is about a Chinese wife who decides on her 40th birthday that her husband will get a concubine, and the familial problems that ensue. A very nice and calm read, with beautiful language, and highly insightful. A definite recommendation.

Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:18 pm

I still find this topic interesting, so I'm bumping it to the top Smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?   

Back to top Go down

IYO, what are some bestsellers that live up to their status?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1