Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Next Phenomenon?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:31 pm

Whatever stupid pre-teens dub to be the next big thing. You have to admit it, their the ones who usually bring attention to everything and turn it into a fad--save for Harry Potter, but it probably would have been spoiled had it not been for its large adult audience as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:07 am

Solveig wrote:
If it helps: Yesterday my friend and I were at a book store. In Germany, it appears that "Twilight" is only #23 in the bestseller lists. It sort of soothed me Smile

That's very comforting to know, Solveig.

I'm pretty sure that the next phenomenon will be another supernatural based book aimed at the YA audience. I'm pretty sure it will be a romance and overly cliched. I'm pretty sure it won't be very well-written, unfortunately. I think that magic will be involved, though...

I do wish, though, that a well-written fantasy series comes to fame, though...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goldfish

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am

Jane wrote:
And, though it'd be nice to be as rich and famous as Rowling, I'm not sure if I want my books to be looked at in that way. Because no one really looks at Harry Potter or Twilight and says, "Wow, that was literary genius." They're more teenage fads than they are thoughtful, well-written novels. I'd rather have talent than fame (although I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have both).

That's true. It really depends on what you want and what you expect. If you expect riches, normally you end up with nothing. But I think it's just as hard to have something be considered having literary value, as it is to have a book become as famous as Twilight and HP did. The best thing for any writer, I think, is to not expect much. My favorite quote: Those who expect nothing are blessed, for they shall never be disappointed. Very Happy

Solveig: Wow. #23?! That is soothing. It lets me know that not the whole world is obsessed with the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:28 am

If it helps: Yesterday my friend and I were at a book store. In Germany, it appears that "Twilight" is only #23 in the bestseller lists. It sort of soothed me Smile

Jane
Master
Master

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:26 am

I don't have a clue what the next big series will be about. Maybe someone will write a story about romantic, angsty, teenage wizard/vampire hybrids.

Do I think my story has that potential? Not at all. But I didn't think Twilight did either. I don't know... my stories never seem to really fit in the 'phenomenon' category. And, though it'd be nice to be as rich and famous as Rowling, I'm not sure if I want my books to be looked at in that way. Because no one really looks at Harry Potter or Twilight and says, "Wow, that was literary genius." They're more teenage fads than they are thoughtful, well-written novels. I'd rather have talent than fame (although I'm not saying it wouldn't be nice to have both).

Solveig: Who told you about Mr Happy?! Great. Now my novel's not a secret anymore.

Last edited by Jane on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tourterelle
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 7942
Dictionary Definition : Tourterelle--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that exhibits behaviors such as excessive procrastination, chocolate creation (in direct contradiction to the Law of Conservation of Matter), and overall insanity. Common names include Nicholle, CQ (Chocolate Queen), Crackhead, and Miss Martini Maniac. Lately, this individual has reportedly been seen dancing in a banana costume and drinking an excessive amount of martinis.

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:26 am

The next big series will most likely be another fantasy YA series, as they do seem to be dominating the market with Eragon, HP, Twilight, Gemma Doyle trilogy, and others. I'm not sure what specifically it will be about, besides just the general "fantasy." Perhaps werewolves? Fairies?

The novel I'm currently writing really isn't for publication as the storyline isn't fabulous and my writing isn't up to snuff, but if I did end up having it published, then I'm not sure if it would be popular. Like you said, J.K. Rowling didn't expect HP to be so huge, and look what happened!

Last edited by Tourterelle on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Goldfish

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 am

Solveig wrote:
Hmmm. I think I see a kind of slide there. Harry Potter was not brilliant writing, nothing innovative, but it was decent and well done. Twilight is neither well written nor well thought through, so it's worse a couple of steps. The logical conclusion would be that the next big thing will something along the lines of "Mr Happy Goes to Town", written by a native speaker of Hindi, and translated into English with the help of a Finnish-Arabic dictionary.

lol! Solveig, that is some pattern! We better get our Finnish-Arabic dictionaries out. lol!

Edit: Anyway, the pattern that one person said they saw was "teenage angst" plus "magical themes" and "500+ pages". I don't know why, but the teenage angst part made me laugh. I hadn't noticed that before. But I know that many people like magic. It's a fascinating subject and lots of people wish they had magic so they could do things easily. I know I love magic. It fascinates me... Shocked

Last edited by Goldfish on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:18 am

Probably something to do with unicorns or centaurs or something else mythological with sick sappy romance and paper thin characters.

I am writing something and I hope it is the next big thing, I think anyone writing anything dreams such things. rendeer
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:15 am

Hmmm. I think I see a kind of slide there. Harry Potter was not brilliant writing, nothing innovative, but it was decent and well done. Twilight is neither well written nor well thought through, so it's worse a couple of steps. The logical conclusion would be that the next big thing will something along the lines of "Mr Happy Goes to Town", written by a native speaker of Hindi, and translated into English with the help of a Finnish-Arabic dictionary.

Goldfish

PostSubject: Next Phenomenon?   Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:11 am

I've asked this and seen it asked before, but what do you think is going to be the next phenomenon? We had Harry Potter, we still have the Twilight series, what is going to be the next big series about, do you think?

And...

If you're writing a novel, do you think your book(s) could possibly be the next big thing? I mean, anything's possible and neither JK nor Stephenie Meyer expected their books to be as popular as they are, so that just proves the point. We've also seen that it doesn't necessarily take exceptional writing abilities to have your books become this popular. I'm not bashing; I'm just stating, because they've each got their talents, but their writing style isn't necessarily the greatest. It's all about opinion, though...

Back to the topic! lol! What do you think?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Phenomenon?   

Back to top Go down

Next Phenomenon?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1