Literary Cabinet

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Movie/Television Adaptations of Books

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 4826
Location : The computer of the Biology Research Lab......procrastinating.
Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways
Registration date : 2008-12-04

PostSubject: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm

You know, movies/tv are forms of literary art as well. Sometimes when directors take books to the screen, they completely butcher it. In other cases, it serves to glorify the book even more.

I could go either way on movie adaptations in general, but I LOVE the 1995 BBC TV adaptation of Pride and Prejudice starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I also loved the 1983 BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre starring Zelah Clarke and Timothy Dalton.

Actually, BBC just plain rocks, in my opinion.

So what is your take on movie adaptations of books and what is your favorite movie/tv adaptation(s)?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :
Registration date : 2008-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:42 pm

I love Stephen King movies, I hate his books.
I love Dean Koontz books, they butchered them when they made the movies.
There are few cases I can state where the movie has actually been better than the book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

Number of posts : 2387
Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:43 pm

There are some adaptations that are simply wrong from beginning to end, such as the crap they made out of "Memoirs of a Geisha". For this belief, I have several reasons:
- If I want to make a movie out of a book, I try to keep close to the text, but the feel of the movie is an entirely different one (at least to me).
- If I want to make a movie about a world so specific and unfamiliar as the Geishas', I try and do my homework before making obvious, blatant mistakes - I have never, ever seen a movie that presented something in such a twisted, false way.

But most adaptations I have seen were very good. It seems as if movies made from Jane Austen novels could never go wrong, although I am convinced that Keira Knightley is too pretty to be a Lizzie Bennet. Also, I loved Bar Luhrman's "Romeo and Juliet", and "Of Mice and Men" with Jeremy Irons was painfully marvellous.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://literarycabinet.roomforum.com
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

Dictionary Definition : Zara Sahana 007- Also known as "Zara," this abnormal specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens exhibits various bizarre behaviors. The most common of these include James Bond obsession, video game fever, and perhaps the strangest of all, a certain fondness for mathematics. Similar to other Homo Sapiens of the Literary Cabinet world, Zara Sahana 007 displays procrastination in brilliant forms, but will not admit to her oddball ways

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:51 pm

Ick. They butchered "Memoirs of a Geisha". End of story.

That has got to be one of my pet peeves: seeing something that is anachronistic. I absolutely loathe it when people don't stick to period things.

This is where the whole Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice seems to come in. I thought that Keira as Lizzy Bennet was actually too underdressed and informal to represent that time accurately enough. I mean, her hair is down on several scenes and in reality, it would have started gossip back then.

I don't see how hard it is to stick to the book. Yeah, there are time constraint, but either cut out the most unimportant stuff or make several movies/episodes. It can't be that hard...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BeautyBlitz
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 1882
Dictionary Definition : Rodent - Homo Rodentiensis is a typical LC creature. Always ready to laugh about stupidity, this being has long occupied a special moderator status on the LC. As one of the very few LC creatures who actually can get and keep a partner, she is the object of constant envy. Though madness is not part of the average Rodents characteristics, this particular feature can at times be subject to change, especially when striken by severe sleep deprivation.
Awards :

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:53 pm

Dean Koontz's novel "Watchers" was made into a movie and they got is so wrong that the only thing that the movie and the book had in common was the golden retriever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

Number of posts : 112

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:24 pm

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
You know, movies/tv are forms of literary art as well. Sometimes when directors take books to the screen, they completely butcher it. In other cases, it serves to glorify the book even more.

I could go either way on movie adaptations in general, but I LOVE the 1995 BBC TV adaptation of Pride and Prejudice starring Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth. I also loved the 1983 BBC adaptation of Jane Eyre starring Zelah Clarke and Timothy Dalton.

Actually, BBC just plain rocks, in my opinion.

So what is your take on movie adaptations of books and what is your favorite movie/tv adaptation(s)?

I wasn't too fond of Pride and Prejudice in the first place. It was too slow for me, and I felt the characters were just frivolous. However, I heard the BBC versions trumps the book--well, my teacher says she loves the movie A LOT better than the book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://chronicle.augusta.com/xtreme/
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:27 pm

I'm not sure if the adaptation is better than the book--I personally loved the book. But I see where you are coming from. A lot of my friends thought that the book dragged in some parts--although I disagree.

But the movie was pretty awesome. I know a LOT of people who strongly prefer the movie (1995 BBC version) to the book.

Unfortunately, though, I don't think that most books have half-way decent movie adaptations. In fact, some movies really ruined the corresponding books (Eragon, anybody?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:35 pm

God, Eragon was AWFUL! Some parts did not make sense at all, like how Sephora just randomly was this huge dragon when she came out of the sky.

I mean, Paolini is okay, but the books aren't entirely original. I haven't read Brisingr yet, but some people have told me that his writing has improved some.
Back to top Go down
Laura
Admin

Dictionary Definition : Laura: Also known as "Solveig", her internet pseudonym, this female specimen of Homo Sapiens founded the Literary Cabinet world. One can spot "Laura," by the fun she has grading papers and drinking coffee, with triple coffee consumption ever since she quit smoking. Like another species, Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous, she enjoys picking at the extreme Twilight fans. This specimen is particularly fond of procrastinating, as most of the other species of the Literary Cabinet Universe are.

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:37 pm

Or the versions in which they leave out 9/10 of the novel to make it fit the time span dictated by the movies - think of Harry Potter Part V. I watched it with my mum, who hadn't read the Order of the Phoenix yet, and she was completely lost after around two minutes.

Talkatoast
Aspiring newbie
Aspiring newbie

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:40 pm

The Harry Potter movies for me are fun to watch. I hear that they're supposed to be making the seventh book into two parts because they want to incorporate as much as the seventh book possible. I like the books better though.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:49 pm

Talkatoast wrote:
The Harry Potter movies for me are fun to watch. I hear that they're supposed to be making the seventh book into two parts because they want to incorporate as much as the seventh book possible. I like the books better though.

I think that it is a better idea to make two separate movies from one book than to just cut parts out to have everything fit into one movie. Do y'all agree?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:50 pm

YES YES YES!!! bounce bounce bounce

Edit: Of course, not to see more of Daniel Radcliffe, but to see more of Snape. Hopefully. Oh God. Now my concentration's ruined for the rest of the night.

Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Solveig wrote:
YES YES YES!!! bounce bounce bounce

Edit: Of course, not to see more of Daniel Radcliffe, but to see more of Snape. Hopefully. Oh God. Now my concentration's ruined for the rest of the night.

Sorry Embarassed . Well, at least now you have a *legit* reason to waste time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Magda

Number of posts : 262

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:49 pm

I don't mind if an adaptation changes some things--to a point. I don't expect the book and movie to be the same, but I do expect them to follow the basic plot and have the same "meaning" if you know what I mean--to be the same type of thing the book was. And good acting, of course.

For instance, take the 1998 adaptation of Les Miserables. The acting was absolutely wonderful, but many plot points were changed. Because of certain changes made, I feel it doesn't fully encompass the spirit of the book--the struggles of many characters for freedom, yes, but not the struggle to do the right thing. All in all, it was a wonderful movie, but not a very good adaptation.

A movie that did do its job as an adaptation is The Princess Bride. Yes, some events were changed, such as the zoo of death and the ending, but it was still the same satirical fairy tale it was in the book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:00 am

Magda wrote:
I don't mind if an adaptation changes some things--to a point. I don't expect the book and movie to be the same, but I do expect them to follow the basic plot and have the same "meaning" if you know what I mean--to be the same type of thing the book was. And good acting, of course.

For instance, take the 1998 adaptation of Les Miserables. The acting was absolutely wonderful, but many plot points were changed. Because of certain changes made, I feel it doesn't fully encompass the spirit of the book--the struggles of many characters for freedom, yes, but not the struggle to do the right thing. All in all, it was a wonderful movie, but not a very good adaptation.

A movie that did do its job as an adaptation is The Princess Bride. Yes, some events were changed, such as the zoo of death and the ending, but it was still the same satirical fairy tale it was in the book.

So you are suggesting that there are movies that are good movies, but not necessarily good adaptations, right? I think I agree with that statement.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jane
Master
Master

Number of posts : 1077
Dictionary Definition : Jane: Also known as "Ally," "Allison," and "freshmeat," this female Homo Sapiens specimen has proven herself a strong member of the Literary Cabinet world. One can recognize "Jane" by her taste in, especially older, men, many of them classic fictional characters, as well as her distinct fear of drama class auditions. Like many of the other species in the Literary Cabinet Universe, she is crazy in her own right.

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:12 am

I agree with the BBC Pride and Prejudice, but not the BBC Jane Eyre. I couldn't even finish it. The Masterpiece Theatre version with Toby Stephens as Rochester, however, is one of my favorite movies. It was amazing.

I also liked the 1980s Scarlet Pimpernel movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. It wasn't anything like the book, but I thought the characters were portrayed perfectly.

Speaking of books made into movies, I come bearing news: Dorian Gray will be made into a film starring Ben Barnes, Jane Eyre will be made starring Ellen Page, and Wuthering Higts will be made (although I don't know who's starring in it. I'm so excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:24 am

Solveig wrote:
There are some adaptations that are simply wrong from beginning to end, such as the crap they made out of "Memoirs of a Geisha". For this belief, I have several reasons:
- If I want to make a movie out of a book, I try to keep close to the text, but the feel of the movie is an entirely different one (at least to me).
- If I want to make a movie about a world so specific and unfamiliar as the Geishas', I try and do my homework before making obvious, blatant mistakes - I have never, ever seen a movie that presented something in such a twisted, false way.

But most adaptations I have seen were very good. It seems as if movies made from Jane Austen novels could never go wrong, although I am convinced that Keira Knightley is too pretty to be a Lizzie Bennet. Also, I loved Bar Luhrman's "Romeo and Juliet", and "Of Mice and Men" with Jeremy Irons was painfully marvellous.

Keira Knightley was too pretty to be Lizzy, but I think she did a wonderful job, so I forgave her for that. Matthew McFayden was a brilliant Mr Darcy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:26 am

Jane wrote:
I agree with the BBC Pride and Prejudice, but not the BBC Jane Eyre. I couldn't even finish it. The Masterpiece Theatre version with Toby Stephens as Rochester, however, is one of my favorite movies. It was amazing.

I also liked the 1980s Scarlet Pimpernel movie with Anthony Andrews and Jane Seymour. It wasn't anything like the book, but I thought the characters were portrayed perfectly.

Speaking of books made into movies, I come bearing news: Dorian Gray will be made into a film starring Ben Barnes, Jane Eyre will be made starring Ellen Page, and Wuthering Higts will be made (although I don't know who's starring in it. I'm so excited!

Oh no!!! Dammit!!! Ben Barnes!?? Did you see the absolute FIASCO he was in Prince Caspian!? Please NO! Jane Eyre with Ellen Page sounds pretty cool. Wuthering Heights? Intriguing -- where did you find out?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:28 am

Quote :

I wasn't too fond of Pride and Prejudice in the first place. It was too slow for me, and I felt the characters were just frivolous. However, I heard the BBC versions trumps the book--well, my teacher says she loves the movie A LOT better than the book.

Pride and Prejudice would be frivolous and boring if it was plain, Lizzy meets Mr Darcy, Lizzy doesn't like Darcy, Lizzy learns to like him, but what Jane Austen brings out is the depth of character in each individual, and the satire of that time, and the wit, it all transforms into something wonderful and charming.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:06 am

Jane wrote:

I also live the Toby Stephens version of Jane Eyre. I think that the 2 biggest reasons why I liked the 1983 version so much (okay, 1 of those reasons is pretty superficial) are one-I I love you Dalton-and two-this version was the one that stayed closest to the book, in my opinion. Like the gypsy scene, for example was done exactly as-is in the 1983 version, but not in the 2006 or the other versions. But I liked the 2006 because it captured the mood so nicely.

I can't wait to see how the Ellen Page version of Jane Eyre turns out. I'd love to have another version be on my favorites list...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:08 am

LuthienT wrote:
Quote :

Pride and Prejudice would be frivolous and boring if it was plain, Lizzy meets Mr Darcy, Lizzy doesn't like Darcy, Lizzy learns to like him, but what Jane Austen brings out is the depth of character in each individual, and the satire of that time, and the wit, it all transforms into something wonderful and charming.

I completely 100% agree with you. If she hadn't put the sarcasm, wit, or depth into the book, then it would simply be another...I hate to say it...but another Twilight of the 1800s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:38 am

Zara Sahana 007 wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Quote :

I completely 100% agree with you. If she hadn't put the sarcasm, wit, or depth into the book, then it would simply be another...I hate to say it...but another Twilight of the 1800s.

I know! It would be an awful, silly, shallow romance. When I first read a summary, I thought that it was the most pathetic story I had ever heard. But then I tried it because people were always saying it was great, and I was hooked from Pg. 1. I was study from beginning to end. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Louisa
Guru
Guru

Number of posts : 6193
Dictionary Definition : Louisa Lynn--a unique specimen of the female gender of Homo Sapiens that has almost everything in common with another species: Homo Sapiens Zarasahanous. This specimen is always found with Asian (Filipino) descent and is a loyal friend to the "good side" during the epic Choco War. A common mutualistic companion found with this specimen is a Pokemon (most likely, the epic Arceus). This species is closely related to the species Homo Sapiens Tourterelleous. Common names include Lynn's Angel.

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:13 pm

LuthienT wrote:
Jane wrote:

Oh no!!! Dammit!!! Ben Barnes!?? Did you see the absolute FIASCO he was in Prince Caspian!? Please NO! Jane Eyre with Ellen Page sounds pretty cool. Wuthering Heights? Intriguing -- where did you find out?

So, Lillian, I take it you didn't like Ben Barnes as Prince Caspian? A lot of people seemed to like him, although it may be because he's good looking and has an accent. (But seriously, I'm not smitten with Ben)

Anyways, I can't wait for these movies! Any news when they're coming out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Laura
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:54 pm

LuthienT wrote:
Solveig wrote:

Keira Knightley was too pretty to be Lizzy, but I think she did a wonderful job, so I forgave her for that. Matthew McFayden was a brilliant Mr Darcy.

Oh dear, that is so true... "Oh yes, his misfortunes have been VERY great indeed!"

----

Guys, we need a drooling smilie.

Off to find more smilies.

----

Back on topic: I was really happy to see he was not some gorgeous guy, but rather plain. I wouldn't want Mr Darcy to be ridiculously beautiful, that would ruin it all.

Has anyone seen the Bollywood version, "Bride and Prejudice"?

Zara Mikazuki
Guru
Guru

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Solveig wrote:
LuthienT wrote:
Solveig wrote:

Oh dear, that is so true... "Oh yes, his misfortunes have been VERY great indeed!"

----

Guys, we need a drooling smilie.

Off to find more smilies.

----

Back on topic: I was really happy to see he was not some gorgeous guy, but rather plain. I wouldn't want Mr Darcy to be ridiculously beautiful, that would ruin it all.

Has anyone seen the Bollywood version, "Bride and Prejudice"?

Ah, the Bollywood version. Actually, it deviates very, very significantly from the story. Yes, I know some of it was because of the culture and language thing, but it devastated the book, in my opinion. As a movie by itself, though, it was okay. Besides, I think Aishwarya Rai is too pretty to play a main character that is based off Lizzy Bennet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie/Television Adaptations of Books   

Back to top Go down

Movie/Television Adaptations of Books
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next